The Alliance Defence Force (ADF) is a small, rapid-deployment force assembled from the defence forces of Alliance member systems. It is the Alliance's equivalent to the centralised naval forces of the Federation and the Empire. The ADF is commanded by the Council of Admirals, and has remit to respond to any crisis within Alliance space, whether humanitarian or military. Additional forces can be provided by member systems' navies if the Council of Admirals makes an emergency appeal to the Alliance Assembly.
"Militarily, co-operation has been more successful. Each member system contributes a portion of its navy to the Alliance Defence Force – the total contribution being proportional to the system's gross domestic product (GDP). It is led by the Council of Admirals, a six-strong body made up of one leader from each of the largest member navies. The council can act swiftly without government approval, which has proved very effective, and over the years there has been little disagreement between the admirals. Contributed vessels generally bear the decals of their own navy, but have an additional Alliance Defence Force decal applied while they are with the group – so the culture of identity and independence (and rivalries) applies here too."
"Barring the small Alliance Defence Force for defending key components of the Alliance Navy to compare with the other major powers. Instead a headquarters organisation exists staffed by the Council of Admirals and their staff. The Alliance Defence Force is essentially a small rapid deployment force made up of ships from the member navies, and is maintained under the command of the Council of Admirals to respond to any crisis - humanitarian and military. In an emergency additional forces would be provided by member navies if the Council of Admirals makes an emergency appeal to the Assembly."
Since January 10, 3308, the ADF's anti-Thargoid operations have been conducted with support from the Sirius Navy in accordance with the terms of a strategic defence pact between the Alliance and Sirius Corporation. The establishment of this pact proved timely, as Aegis was shut down on January 18, 3308, and Aegis's role in defending the superpowers from the Thargoids in the ongoing conflict thus devolved to each superpower's military force.
For years, the Alliance Defence Force did not have a dedicated supplier among ship manufacturers, and its member navies used the same ships available to civilian pilots. In December 3303, the Alliance contracted Lakon Spaceways to produce the Type-10 Defender after it was determined that the ADF needed a heavy weapons platform in short order to bolster its defenses against the Thargoids. Further collaboration with Lakon in 3304 produced three Alliance-specific ship models: the Alliance Chieftain and its two variants, the Alliance Challenger and Alliance Crusader.
On February 16, 3307, the Alliance purchased a majority sharehold in Lakon Spaceways, gaining partial ownership of the company and ensuring that it could continue to serve as a key defence contractor for the Alliance Defence Force. The move rescued Lakon from insolvency and also shielded it from future acquisition attempts by another corporation or superpower.
List of members
- Council of Admirals
- Other ADF members
- Helena Stone - Commodore
- Frederick Yamamoto - Admiral of Zaonce's navy, Council of Admirals member (dishonourably discharged and convicted)
- Glynn - Lieutenant Commander (resigned)
- Morag Halloran - Commodore (resigned)
- Riri McAllister - Rear Admiral of Lave's navy, Council of Admirals member (dishonourably discharged, missing)
- Tulimaq Buchanan - Fleet Admiral of Lave's navy, Council of Admirals member (deceased)
- Tourist Beacon 114: "Alliance Defence Force", Alioth
- GalNet: Galactic News: The Origin of the Alliance
- GalNet: Victoria Wolf VI and Commodore Stone Launch Operation Augeas
- Elite Dangerous Newsletter #22
- GalNet: Sirius Navy Unites with Alliance Defence Force
- GalNet: Superpowers Plan to Replace Aegis
- GalNet: Galactic News: Lakon Announces New Ship
- GalNet: Galactic News: Lakon releases Alliance Chieftain
- Frontier Forums: Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Two Release Date
- GalNet: Lakon Releases Alliance Crusader
- GalNet: Alliance Bales Out Lakon Spaceways
- GalNet: Salvation Recruits Naval Crews