Eden was the first planet on which liquid water was detected by spectroscopic methods in 2038, and so it was a major driving force for the exploration of space. However, Eden turned out to be extremely inhospitable with the added danger of hard radiation from Proxima. There is now a small research station on Eden, but little else in the rest of the system. Star was once known as Rigel Kentaurus. Late in 3301 a rag-tag collection of Independent Commanders selflessly came to the aid of Hutton Mug Co. to help kick-start the creation of the Hutton Mug; the rare item that can only be found at Hutton Orbital in the Alpha Centauri system. Over 2.4 million tonnes of scrap were delivered by the Truckers, all the while evading and eventually confronting the many concerted attacks by pirates and other Ne'er-do-wells who blockaded the platform, determined to block the Mug Companies[sic] efforts. In the aftermath of the famed Mug Run many intrepid commanders decided to formalise their association to the Co-Operative, vowing to protect the hallowed route and, perhaps one day, find a cure for MODS.
— In-Game Description
Alpha Centauri is the closest star system to the Sol system.
It is notorious for the vast distance between the hyperspace jump arrival point at Alpha Centauri A and the furthest of the two orbital outposts, Hutton Orbital. The distance is 6,784,404 ls, or 0.22 ly. At Hutton Orbital, two rare commodities are available: Centauri Mega Gin and the The Hutton Mug.
- Alpha Centauri A (Class G star)
- Alpha Centauri B (Class K star)
- Alpha Centauri B 1 (Landfall body, metal-rich)
- Barycentre of the stars Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B
- Hutton Orbital Truckers Co-Operative (Democracy, Independent)
- Partnership of Alpha Centauri (Confederacy, Federation)
- Ross 154 Vision Partners (Corporate, Federation)
- Wolf 562 Major Inc (Corporate, Federation)
- Alpha Centauri Liberals (Democracy, Federation)
- 61 Virginis Public Systems (Corporate, Federation)
- Alpha Centauri Advanced Corp. (Corporate, Federation)
- There was a community goal to ship scrap to Hutton Orbital to start production of The Hutton Mug. It was a success.