Together we are stronger than those who wish to seek to tear us down.
— Senator Lavigny-Duval
Arissa Lavigny-Duval is the 16th and current reigning Emperor of the Empire since October 18, 3301. She has a reputation for tackling hard issues head on. Her political platform is built on honour, and she has a focus on tackling corruption. She is the biological daughter of late emperor Hengist Duval, half-sister of Harold Duval, and aunt to both Princess Aisling Duval and Hadrian Augustus Duval.
Meet the Powers – Arissa Lavigny-Duval
Continuing this GalNet exclusive series, political commentator Marcus Macmillan writes his opinion of some of the movers and shakers in 3301. In this second article he looks at one of the most respected women in Imperial politics: Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval.
Arissa Lavigny-Duval’s success as a senator often eclipses the fact that as the daughter of the late Prince Aristide de Lavigny, she is also a princess by birth. It says much of her character that she prefers to represent herself with her achievements rather than just her bloodline. In Imperial politics, of course, having the right bloodline is also an asset and she is astute enough to make use of it when she needs to.
In popularity she rivals Princess Aisling Duval, partly because she is happy to tackle hard issues head on. Her primary platform is one of honour and she devotes much of her attention to tackling corruption. She is a familiar face in the Imperial Court and her views often reflect those of the Emperor. The planned wedding between Emperor Hengist Duval and her mother, Florence Lavigny, will secure her position as next in line if anything should befall the Emperor.
31 JAN 3305
- Hadrian Augustus Duval has broadcast a message following the purge of isolationist group Nova Imperium: "Arissa Lavigny-Duval has revealed the true face of her regime – one based on brutality and terror. The callous execution of Imperator Mordanticus, in conjunction with thousands of Imperial citizens, shows her desperation to cling onto power at any cost. Nova Imperium survives in the Paresa system, a single light in the darkness. We stand for an Empire that respects everyone, from slaves to senators. I truly hope that any who value honour and tradition will help keep our spark alive. Our martyred leader will never be forgotten. In his honour, I have taken the title of Imperator Duval, until such time as the people choose me as their rightful emperor. Memento Mordanticus!"
26 JAN 3305
- Security forces across the Empire have carried out a coordinated purge of the isolationist group Nova Imperium. Political journalist Cassia Carvalho reported: "Yesterday's executions in the Senate were apparently only the beginning of a coordinated massacre. Nova Imperium members are being put to death, and citizens who supported them are being arrested for treason. In a single day, the isolationist cause has been crushed. It seems that Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval – while being accused of weakness – has simply been playing for time, allowing Senator Patreus to position his agents for a simultaneous strike. With this show of strength, the Emperor has done much to silence her detractors. Despite reactions of horror from some newsfeeds, Alliance and Federal leaders have made no official comment, perhaps relieved that inter-superpower cooperation against the Thargoids will continue. Nova Imperium remains in control of the Paresa system, but with the organisation's power base destroyed, it no longer poses a threat to the Imperial throne."
25 JAN 3305
- Kaeso Mordanticus, the captured leader of isolationist group Nova Imperium, has been brought before the Imperial Senate, with unexpected results. Political journalist Cassia Carvalho was at the scene: "Imperator Mordanticus was led into Senate House in shackles but still defiant. All rose as Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval entered, attended by Senator Denton Patreus. The Emperor and Patreus approached Mordanticus silently, whereupon Patreus executed the Imperator with his personal sidearm. Suddenly, the Imperial Guard opened fire, gunning down senators Pal Vespasian and Eloise Winterstone, and others who had supported the isolationist cause. Once the initial shock had subsided, the Emperor stood over the Imperator's body. In a clear voice she announced: 'There is no Nova Imperium. There is only the Empire.' I have since heard reports of mass arrests and further public executions across Capitol. The rumour is that Patreus placed agents among Nova Imperium strongholds, which are now being eliminated from within. This may be the start of an Empire-wide purge."
18 JAN 3305
- Imperator Mordanticus, the leader of isolationist group Nova Imperium, has been captured by the Empire. His arrest was made during the conflict between Nova Imperium and the Empire in the Paresa system. Chancellor Anders Blaine made a pronouncement on behalf of Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval: "With its fleet destroyed, Nova Imperium's seditious agenda has been halted. The so-called Imperator, Duke Kaeso Mordanticus, will be brought before the Senate on Friday the 25th of January to answer charges of treason against the Empire." Political journalist Cassia Carvalho commented in The Imperial Herald: "For the emperor to assemble the entire Senate is a rare occurrence. It seems likely that she will make an example of Mordanticus, perhaps with a public trial. Although Nova Imperium survives in the Paresa system, the loss of both its fleet and military commander may have delivered a mortal blow to the isolationist cause."
27 DEC 3304
- Imperial senators supporting the isolationist group Nova Imperium have demanded that Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval acknowledge its figurehead, Hadrian Augustus Duval. Senator Eloise Winterstone proclaimed to the Senate: "The Imperial family must officially recognise Hadrian Duval as one of its own. Given that the Emperor has no children, such an act would secure the future of the Duval bloodline." Chancellor Anders Blaine replied: "Our official position is that Nova Imperium is a fringe organisation with no right to determine policy. We have no more to say on the matter." Political journalist Cassia Carvalho wrote in The Imperial Herald: "With the possibility of civil war increasing, the suggestion that Arissa accept Hengist Duval's grandson as an heir feels like a reasonable compromise. Her lack of response so far has led to accusations of weakness, with many calling on her to step down and for Hadrian Duval to be instated as sovereign ruler."
21 DEC 3304
- Princess Aisling Duval has publicly rejected the isolationist group Nova Imperium and its figurehead, Hadrian Duval: "These extremists cause only division. Hadrian may well be the grandson of Hengist Duval, but that hardly makes him suited to the throne. Arissa has been silent for too long – she must act quickly to resolve this volatile situation." Senator Zemina Torval responded: "Much to my surprise, I find myself in agreement with Princess Duval. The notion of an independent pilot becoming ruler of the Empire is preposterous. I am confident that the Emperor will respond accordingly." Despite this united front, Senator Pal Vespasian stated: "Many senators are willing to recognise Hadrian Duval as Emperor-in-waiting. Nova Imperium is now a legitimate political movement with several million supporters. The only way the Empire will survive is by accepting the Imperator's proposals."
07 DEC 3304
- Isolationist group Nova Imperium has revealed its choice for Emperor – an eighteen year old man named Hadrian Augustus Duval. The group's leader, Imperator Mordanticus, broadcast this message: "It is incumbent upon me to reveal that Hengist Duval fathered not one but two illegitimate children in his younger days. A few years before meeting Florence Lavigny, he had a brief affair with a slave in the Imperial household. When Hengist's father discovered this, the matter was hushed up and the slave dismissed. The slave's son went on to sire a child of his own: Hadrian Duval, grandson of Emperor Hengist Duval. Hadrian was unaware of this until we located him and genetically confirmed his lineage. Arissa Lavigny-Duval is a weak Emperor who must be removed. We call for Hadrian Duval to be recognised as the true heir to the throne!" The Imperial Herald's political journalist Cassia Carvalho observed: "This announcement has shaken the Empire to its very foundations. Having Hadrian as a figurehead has rallied those hardliners more comfortable with the idea of a male Emperor. With a single stroke, Nova Imperium has gained considerable credibility and massively increased its support."
01 DEC 3304
- Several Imperial senators have spoken in support of isolationist group Nova Imperium. Senator Pal Vespasian made the following statement: "Many of us see Nova Imperium not as extremists, but as realists. The citizenry is afraid of both Thargoid invasion and of being weakened by collaboration with foreign systems. They look to the Emperor for salvation…and she offers them none. We intend to invite Imperator Mordanticus to address the Senate and detail his policies. This is a historic opportunity to restore the Empire's honour and integrity. Furthermore, Nova Imperium's proposal to install a new Emperor has my full backing."
24 NOV 3304
- Isolationist group Nova Imperium has declared its intention to install a new Emperor. The group's leader, recently identified as ex-navy admiral Duke Kaeso Mordanticus and known as the Imperator, said: "The Empire has been weakened by collaborating with its enemies. Aegis drains our resources to protect foreign systems from the Thargoids, our security forces are stretched thin defending non-Imperial systems, and Princess Duval sullies her honourable name by dallying with a Federal libertine. Our people demand stronger leadership. We will achieve this by installing a new Emperor – one who will restore the glory of the Empire!" Political journalist Cassia Carvalho commented in The Imperial Herald: "Naturally there has been no response from Arissa Lavigny-Duval. But for many citizens, Mordanticus has articulated their unease about inter-superpower cooperation. With support for Nova Imperium increasing rapidly, a silent minority may now have found a voice."
27 JUN 3304
- While the Imperial Palace offered cordial congratulations for the impending marriage of Princess Aisling Duval and Federal Ambassador Jordan Rochester, Emperor Arissa had yet to issue a personal statement. News agencies on Capitol reported that Princess Aisling had not discussed the engagement with the Imperial Family beforehand, and Emperor Arissa had not given her consent to the marriage.
08 FEB 3304
- Galactic Leaders Renew Appeals for Aid. Federal President Zachary Hudson and Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval have issued fresh appeals for aid for the 17 stations damaged by Thargoid attacks, imploring independent pilots to support relief efforts.
22 OCT 3301
- In a statement, the Emperor expressed her gratitude to those who had delivered gifts of slaves to Dawes Hub for her.
21 OCT 3301
I am delighted with the reaction to my appeal. The fact that pilots affiliated with the Federation and Alliance responded to my request fills me with hope for a future of peaceful exchange and cooperation.
— Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval denounced Emperor's Dawn as enemies of the Empire, and praised Senator Denton Patreus's handling of the fight against them.
18 OCT 3301
- Arissa Lavigny-Duval was crowned Emperor in a ceremony at the Imperial Palace, on Capitol in the Achenar system.
15 OCT 3301
This is a day I cannot compare to any other. The trust my fellow senators have shown in me makes me all the more determined to overcome the challenges we will surely face in the coming weeks and months. For too long we have suffered from uncertainty in the wake of the Emperor's death. I had the great fortune to talk with the late Emperor in his final days, and to learn how he planned to strengthen the Empire in these times of change. In the coming weeks, I will announce the formation of my government and my plans to tackle the threats facing the Empire. But for now I will enjoy this moment and express my gratitude to the Empire and everyone, from slave to senator, for this opportunity to serve.
— Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval, after her coronation
- In a more "inclusive" version of the tradition of Imperial citizens bestowing gifts upon their new Emperor, Arissa Lavigny-Duval announced that she would accept gifts of slaves from any citizen of the galaxy. Those not already Imperial slaves would be reclassified as such, almost certainly improving their quality of life. The permit restriction for access to Achenar would be lifted for the duration of the appeal, and its success would result in a temporary discount and loosening of sales restrictions on Imperial ships.
06 OCT 3301
- After a Senate vote, Arissa Lavigny-Duval was declared Emperor.
15 SEP 3301
- After a day at the Senate, Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval answered some questions from reporters. She said that what the Empire needed was stability and continuity, and that Hengist Duval had shared with her his plans for the Empire to build on its strengths of justice and tradition. "I consider it my duty to make sure that his vision becomes a reality." When asked if she considered herself his heir, she replied:
05 AUG 3301
The decision of who will become Emperor is in the hands of the Senate. There are many suitable candidates, and I am honoured to be among them. Whether or not I am crowned, I will continue to work toward the future that Hengist Duval shared with me.
— Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- Just before the wedding that would have legitimised Arissa, Hengist Duval was stabbed by a member of the congregation. He died en route to a medical facility.
02 APR 3301
- Following an attempted assassination of the Emperor by unknown parties, Princess Arissa Lavigny-Duval made a public address on the steps of the Imperial Palace.
22 DEC 3300
Honoured citizens of the Empire, my Imperial brothers and sisters, I come before you today not as a Princess or as a Senator, but as a concerned daughter of this nation. In our father’s long absence, certain undesirable elements have sought to usurp the right and just laws which govern our civilisation. Through their dishonourable actions they seek to unravel the delicate threads that bind us together as a great and unified society. The house of Duval will not allow the madness of the few to undo everything that we have struggled so long to achieve. I swear to you, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, the Emperor’s protection will stand. You will not live in fear of hunger, of sickness, of weakness or shame. Enemies of the Imperial court beware. This is your one warning. You will not get another
— Princess Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- Her biological father, Hengist Duval, and her mother, Florence Lavigny, announced their plan to get married. This would make her next in line to the throne once the ceremony had taken place. Arissa Lavigny declared that she would change her last name to "Duval".
20 DEC 3300
- Arissa Lavigny declared that Prince Aristide Lavigny wasn't her actual father, and that she was the illegitimate daughter of Emperor Hengist Duval. This would put her claim to the throne above Aisling Duval's.
Building a future through the rule of law
— Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Arissa Lavigny-Duval Crowned Emperor
- ↑ Meet the Powers – Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Arissa Lavigny is the Daughter of the Emperor
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Meet the Powers – Arissa Lavigny-Duval
- ↑ GalNet: The New Imperator
- ↑ GalNet: The Fall of Nova Imperium
- ↑ GalNet: Blood on the Senate Floor
- ↑ GalNet: Imperator Mordanticus Captured
- ↑ GalNet: An Heir to the Imperial Throne?
- ↑ GalNet: Aisling Duval Rejects Nova Imperium
- ↑ GalNet: Nova Imperium Unveils Figurehead
- ↑ GalNet: Senators Support Nova Imperium
- ↑ GalNet: Nova Imperium Demands New Emperor
- ↑ GalNet: Galaxy Reacts to Federal-Imperial Betrothal
- ↑ Galactic Leaders Renew Appeals for Aid
- ↑ Emperor Arissa Lavigny-Duval Expresses Gratitude
- ↑ The Emperor Denounces Emperor's Dawn
- ↑ Gifts for the New Emperor
- ↑ Senate Declares Arissa Lavigny-Duval Emperor
- ↑ Senator Arissa Lavigny-Duval Calls Impromptu Press Conference
- ↑ Emperor Hengist Duval Dead
- ↑ Imperial Assassination Attempt Foiled Princess Arissa Addresses the Nation
- ↑ Emperor To Marry Sweetheart
|Preceded by||Title||Succeeded by|