The Camera Suite is a fully functional third-person camera suite in Elite Dangerous. It allows players to take sophisticated screenshots, make cinematic videos, and even fly their ships in third-person. It was added in the Elite Dangerous: Horizons: The Commanders (2.3) update, replacing the original, limited "Debug Camera" function that had been added in the Wings Update (1.2) as a placeholder feature.
- Focal distance and blur around the target can be enabled.
- The camera can be placed inside a ship's cockpit and player characters inside will react naturally.
- Free motion around the ship while anchoring relative to the ship or nearby objects.
- Fly a ship in third person. The ship can be controlled while in the camera view, with all flight controls available including deploying and firing hardpoints, boosting, steering etc.
- Zoom slider options
- The camera can ignore rotation to keep the same orientation.
- User Interface with shortcuts which can be hidden
- Move the camera far away from the ship
- Anything that can be bound to the keyboard is available in the third person camera.
- Additional camera views include an “inside the cockpit” view of the Helm or Gunner positions
- A third-person view from the rear of the cockpit looking forward
- Fixed camera positions above and below the ship
Ship controls are limited when using the third person camera, because there's no access to the HUD or other important information. So third person as a combat option remains more difficult than first person.
According to the lore it's a micro camera that orbits the ship.
- You can take a high resolution screenshot by pressing Alt + F10.
- Standard screenshots can be taken by pressing F10.