Commander, abbreviated CMDR, is a title bestowed by the Pilots Federation to all of its licensed pilots. Commanders may choose to use their real name alongside the title, or an alias of their own choosing.
In general, Commanders are considered independent regardless of their origins, but they regularly align with a specific superpower or minor faction, either for short-term campaigns such as Community Goals or for the entirety of their careers. Some Commanders began as pilots for the Federal Navy, Imperial Navy, Alliance Defence Force, or minor security forces before retiring and joining the Pilots Federation for a career as an independent pilot. Commanders are distinguished in terms of skill and experience by their ranks in the officially designated fields of Combat, Trader, Explorer, CQC, Mercenary, and Exobiologist; Commanders who achieve the top rank of "Elite" in any one of these fields are granted access to the Pilots Federation headquarters system of Shinrarta Dezhra.
- All Elite Dangerous players possess the title of Commander. The title has been featured in every game of the Elite series. The title is occasionally used for in-game NPCs for story purposes.
- GalNet: Empire Denies Existence of Secret Prison
- Elite Dangerous: Premonition
- GalNet: Ship Stolen from Starport
- GalNet: Freelance Report: Cerberus Plague Past and Present
- GalNet: Mavia Kain Announces Galactic Games
- GalNet: Request for Pilots to Trace Distress Call
- GalNet: Galactic News: Mysterious Wreckage Discovered
- GalNet: Imperial Inquisition and Emperor's Grace to Hold Meeting
- GalNet: Freelance Report: Buckyball Racing Club Salutes Heroes of Bast
- GalNet: The Adamastor Enigma
- Frontier Forums: (CCN) Colonia Hub Ceremony
- GalNet: Crashed Ship of Missing ACT Agent Located