Content presented on this page has not been released yet. Details are subject to change before release, and anything unsupported by a source may be speculation or incorrect.
Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is the second paid expansion for Elite Dangerous. Frontier Developments has described it as the biggest update yet and a defining moment in the history of the game. It has been in active development since August 2018, and was officially announced on June 3, 2020. It is scheduled to release in early 2021.
Disembark, Commander, and leave your mark on the galaxy in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. Explore distant worlds on foot and expand the frontier of known space. Be the first to step out onto countless unique planets as you discover land untouched since time began. Elite Dangerous: Odyssey invites you to become a true pioneer.
One Giant Leap
See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas, discover outposts and settlements, and explore with unrestricted freedom.
Forge Your Own Path
Take on a wide variety of contracts and play your way, from diplomacy and commerce to lethal stealth and all-out combat. Diverse settings, objectives, and NPCs offer endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy.
Assemble Your CrewSocial hubs spread throughout the galaxy give Commanders the ideal place to plan their next move. Form alliances, procure services, and even find expert support in highly coveted Engineers. These public outposts also help you acquire and upgrade weapons and gear to perfect your playing style.
The Sphere of Combat
Experience intense first-person combat, kit out your character with an array of weapons and gear, and coordinate with teammates to master a multi-layered, deep, tactical environment where Commanders, SRVs and Starships converge.
Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?
Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.
In a follow up email we confirmed that VR support is still an open possibility sometime after launch, “with no defined date,” according to the company.
Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.
Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.
These are all the confirmed features.
- atmospheric landings on planets with tenuous atmospheres.
- Millions of older planets have refreshed visuals with new levels of detail.
- Each sunset feel unique with a new algorithm that factors in the composition of the planetary atmosphere, the color, distance of the nearby stars etc.
- New living creatures are distributed across the galaxy based on complex, in-fiction rules and logic.
- Locate biologicals (flora and vegetation) from orbit, then land to sample their genomes. Return to a starport and exchange those discoveries for credits and buy upgrades. Player names are permanently attached to the things they discover.
- Explore planets and moons by walking in first person
- Station interiors are included at launch.
- Settlements, points of interest with a variety of activities. Transient elements spawn in and out to fill the surface. Settlements are quite big with industrial areas, military bases and small outposts.
- Interactive human populations offer missions and emergent game play. For example you can trade or pirate a settlement.
- Take on contracts
- Multiple play styles: diplomacy, commerce, stealth, first-person combat and more.
- Explore with unrestricted freedom.
- Diverse settings, objectives and NPCs
- NPCs offer endless mission variety and a near infinite amount of content to enjoy
- Social spaces to meet and interact with other players.
- Form alliances
- Procure services and support from Engineers.
- Personal weapons
- Gear: jet pack etc.
- New Remlok spacesuits.
- Coordinate with teammates
- Multi-layered, tactical environment with commanders, SRVs and starships.
- No virtual reality support at launch. Full VR in ships and vehicles in all parts of the game, except on foot it switches to the flat game screen, but no need to remove the headset if you don't want.
- Ship interiors are not included at launch.
According to a leaked roadmap, it will feature:
Base buildingis not on the roadmap.
- Atmospheric landings
- First person shooter style gameplay - (space legs)
- Thargoids in the flesh
Atmospheric landings were confirmed in the released trailer for the expansion, which shows two commanders landing on a atmospheric desert planet.
In the leak, Elite Dangerous' NewEra/Odyssey was code named "Watson". It matches the promo image filename "ed_watson_announce_gleam_1920-jpg" of the Odyssey/OverclockersUK competition post (June 2020).
On 15 November 2019 Frontier described the new era of Elite in a Trading Statement and Roadmap Update:
"The future for Elite Dangerous is also exciting. Frontier is developing a major new paid-for release for the iconic space simulation which will dramatically expand gameplay and mark the beginning of a new era for Elite Dangerous. This will be characterised by significant new features to appeal to existing commanders, whilst being specifically designed to be a compelling, attractive and welcoming entry point for new players. Targeted for launch at the end of 2020, this major new release on multiple platforms will fall into financial year 2021."
Frontier said on 1 March 2019:"Back in August (2018), we mentioned that the team had begun work on the next major era of Elite. We believe this will be a defining moment in the history of the game and it will be our biggest update yet."
"In that post, we explained that the content was still very early in development, so we won’t be ready to announce it for a while. To give this more context, in order to realise the ambition for this update, and the size and scope of the content we wish to bring to the Elite Dangerous galaxy, we estimate this major milestone will be ready by the latter half of 2020."
"As development progresses, we will share more news and announcements on features, as well as timelines regarding this upcoming content for Elite. We can understand that having a long wait for news can be frustrating, but we truly believe that this will be the single most impactful update for our community. Having a development team dedicated to this milestone is our continued and unwavering commitment to making Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world."
On October 22, 2019, Community Manager Will Flanagan said:"The team have been hard at work on the next major milestone, which you may remember we mentioned back in March as our next major paid addition to the game. They’re making fantastic progress and on schedule for release by the end of next year. We are very excited to show you what we’ve been working on. However, we can only announce the content when it’s at the right stage of development, we estimate this will be ready to talk about at some time in summer 2020, after the Fleet Carriers update. We appreciate there is a bit of a wait, but we want to make sure it is ready to be shown before making our full official announcement to the world."
On June 3, 2020, less than a week before the release of the Fleet Carriers Update, a trailer for the expansion containing in-engine pre-alpha footage and revealing its name as Elite Dangerous: Odyssey was accidentally uploaded to the official Elite Dangerous YouTube channel. Although the trailer was swiftly removed, copies of it were captured and uploaded by fans, and Frontier Developments eventually decided to advance their announcement plans and reveal Odyssey the same day.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Important Community Update (01/03)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Frontier Forums: Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Community Update (01/05)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-announcement.546389/page-63#post-8495906
- ↑ https://uploadvr.com/elite-dangerous-odyssey-wont-have-vr-support-at-launch/
- ↑ Frontier talks about Elite's new on-foot exploration update, Odyssey
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Elite: Dangerous expansion aims to give players their own ‘Neil Armstrong moment’
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Odyssey: Update on VR and Ship Interiors
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Elite Dangerous Interview: Devs Detail Upcoming Odyssey Expansion
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Frontier live stream on Twitch, June 4, 2020.
- ↑ https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/roadmap-leaked.509196/
- ↑ The ARX website's metadata tags (https://arx.elitedangerous.com/) contains references to customization of Buildings and multiple SRVs
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/gxx6qk/seeming_confirmation_that_the_leak_was_about/
- ↑ Frontier Trading Statement & Roadmap Update
- ↑ https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/community-update-22-10.527123/