|7||Baron||Imperial Clipper, Summerland|
There are 14 ranks in the Imperial Navy Auxiliary, which can be joined by any independent pilot. As pilots rise through the ranks, they are rewarded with access to exclusive Imperial ships, missions, and restricted system permits.
For players to be promoted through the Empire's ranks they must complete missions or other favourable activities with minor factions aligned with Empire. Progress toward the next rank is tracked in the right HUD panel, in the Reputation section of the Status tab.
There are several types of missions that reward reputation, which improves rank. Common tactics for fast rank progress are:
- Charity missions, which require donating large quantities of Credits but no effort to do.
- Data courier missions, which are low-paying but can be completed with little risk.
- Trade of Imperial Slaves, will only earn credits unless attached to a mission.
- Running passenger missions at a damaged station for Empire allied factions. The sheer number of missions and quick trip to the rescue vessel can fill the progress bar quickly.
- Running source-and-return missions at a station under repair with three or more Empire allied factions. A pilot can pick up several missions to bring supplies like semiconductors, superconductors, polymers, etc. which are 9 units or less. While passenger evacuation is faster, one can pick up ten or so easy missions to boost their rep.
Finding a system that best offers these opportunities can be hard due to faction states changing constantly and a need for the minor factions to be aligned to the relevant superpower.
Once a rank has reached 100% progress, Empire-aligned minor factions that a pilot has a "friendly" or higher standing with will begin to offer promotion missions for the Imperial Navy. Completing a promotion mission will increase rank by one level. Note that rank progress continues to increase and count toward higher ranks even if the 100% mark for a rank has been reached, so no reputation gains are lost while waiting for a promotion mission to appear. Imperial Navy promotion missions usually include the phrases "Imperial Navy" in the mission title, for example "Imperial Navy Strike Contract" or "Rebel Transmissions Imperial Navy Salvage Mission".