The Farragut Battle Cruiser is a battlecruiser manufactured by Core Dynamics exclusively for the Federation. As a capital ship, it serves as the backbone of the Federal Navy and the core of each of its fleets. In contrast with its Imperial Navy counterpart, the Majestic Class Interdictor, the Farragut emphasizes utility over style and comfort, and in a direct, one-on-one confrontation with the Imperial capital ship, the Farragut holds the advantage in terms of raw firepower and combat endurance.
Core Dynamics Farragut-Class[sic] Battle Cruisers represent the cutting edge in military technology. A single FCB can carry several squadrons of Federal Fighters and multiple Federal Corvettes across hundreds of light years without any difficulty. These deep deployment capabilities, coupled with extraordinarily heavy firepower, practically guarantee that a single FCB will completely overpower all but the most well-equipped opponents.
— Excerpt from a GalNet report on the completion of the FNS Nevermore
The Farragut Battle Cruiser is over two kilometers long, heavily-armed with classified weaponry, and equipped with hangars capable of transporting multiple Federal Corvettes and F63 Condor squadrons. It is equipped with a capital-class Frame Shift Drive with an undisclosed jump range. The Federal Navy uses the Farragut as an integral part of its Intervention Fleets, which are used to investigate and intervene in larger-scale conflicts.
The Federation's capital ships are brutal, practical war machines inside and out. Airtight doors split the interior into many separate compartments. Grab-handles abound, as do access panels and all the paraphernalia of a military vessel. There would be no mistaking a Federal ship's interior with an Imperial one.
— The Art of Elite Dangerous
Since the outbreak of the Second Thargoid War in 3303, multiple Farragut Battle Cruisers have been destroyed by Thargoid Interceptors due to the former's vulnerability to Thargoid shutdown fields. Since the anti-xeno countermeasures developed for smaller ships have proven prohibitively difficult to scale-up for capital ships, the international research and defence organisation Aegis has declared that capital ships are ineffective at protecting outposts, planets, and shipping lanes from Thargoid attacks at present. Instead, anti-Thargoid efforts have been spearheaded by militias of personal-scale craft.
|Name||Last known location||Date of sighting||Notes|
|FNS Achilles||Dhathaatrib||Jul. 10, 3304|
|FNS Agamemnon||Nemehi||Apr. 3, 3304|
|FNS Ajax||Pleiades Sector RO-Q b5-0||Sept. 28, 3302|
|FNS Alacrity||Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2||Dec. 17, 3302|
|FNS Andromeda||CC Eri||Mar. 14, 3303|
|FNS Angelos||Belobog||Dec. 30, 3303|
|FNS Archer||Canezti||Jul. 31, 3304|
|FNS Arethusa||Nemehi||Feb. 3, 3304|
|FNS Aurora||Bundena||May 30, 3304|
|FNS Bellerophon||Merope||Nov. 28, 3302|
|FNS Boxer||Merope||Apr. 14, 3303|
|FNS Centaur||Potriti||Sept. 27, 3303|
|FNS Centurion||Regulus||Dec. 10, 3303|
|FNS Constance||Blatrimpe||Feb. 18, 3304|
|FNS Conquerer||LHS 215||Nov 25, 3304|
|FNS Courageous||Decima||Mar. 13, 3304|
|FNS Damocles||Luluwala||Aug, 4 3303|
|FNS Dauntless||CC Eri||Mar. 14, 3303|
|FNS Dominion||Fidenef||Sept. 15, 3304|
|FNS Europa||Pleiades Sector IH-V c2-16||Dec. 29, 3302|
|FNS Euryalus||HIP 46903||Oct. 31, 3303|
|FNS Farragut||Pleiades Sector IH-V c2-16||Sept. 22, 3302||Class leader|
|FNS Formidable||Ross 719||Dec. 10, 3304|
|FNS Furious||Fomovithi||Jun. 18, 3304|
|FNS Gellan||Merki||Oct. 7,
|Named for Federal President Isaac Gellan|
|FNS Glory||Belobog||Nov. 4, 3303|
|FNS Goliath||LHS 3437||Mar. 20, 3304|
|FNS Hawke||Merope||Jan. 6, 3303|
|FNS Hercules||HR 6067||Aug. 15, 3303|
|FNS Hood||Ross 1008||Jan. 10, 3304|
|FNS Hunter||Huokang||May 27, 3303|
|FNS Implacable||Apr. 7, 3306|
|FNS Indefatigable||Apala||July 11, 3304|
|FNS Indomitable||Potriti||Sept. 28, 3303|
|FNS Inflexible||Jardovici||Oct. 28, 3302|
|FNS Invincible||Jardovici||Oct. 28, 3302|
|FNS Iris||Merope||Mar. 24, 3303|
|FNS Jupiter||Jul. 9, 3304|
|FNS Khemsa||Beta Hydri||Named after CMDR Khemsa for contributing the most resources to the CG to construct the ship|
|FNS Kracer||Mu Koji||Sept. 10, 3302||Named for Admiral Kracer, who led a Federation force that liberated New California from the Empire in 2854|
|FNS Leviathan||Huokang||May 26, 3303|
|FNS Liberator||Merope||Dec. 29, 3302|
|FNS Medusa||ETA-1 Pictoris 6||Oct. 15, 3302|
|FNS Mercury||Huokang||May 26, 3303|
|FNS Nevermore||BD+03 2338||Mar. 26, 3301||Completed at Hudson Dock, BD+03 2338 on March 11, 3301. Involved in an infamous friendly-fire incident with Hudson Dock on March 19, 3301.|
|FNS O'Brien||HIP 46903 3||Oct. 31, 3303||Named for Admiral O'Brien, who led the Federation's forces in the war against the Empire over control of Emerald in Tau Ceti in 3101|
|FNS Orion||Cama||Feb. 8, 3304|
|FNS Perseus||Maia||Mar. 11, 3303|
|FNS Pioneer||Cemiess||Jun. 7, 3304||The personal ship of Federal Ambassador Jordan Rochester, commanded by Vice Admiral Juno Rochester|
|FNS Renoun||Dhathaatrib||Jul. 10, 3304|
|FNS Resolution||Pleiades Sector RO-Q b5-0||Dec. 29, 3302|
|FNS Royal Oak|
|FNS Scimitar||Mbukuravi||April 4, 3304|
|FNS Shannon||Procyon||Apr. 10, 3304|
|FNS Spartan||Ross 1008||Jan. 9, 3304|
|FNS Stalker||Sol||Dec. 7, 3302|
|FNS Starship One||Sol||June 5, 3304||The personal ship of the Federal President|
|FNS Striker||Sol||Oct. 29, 3302|
|FNS Superb||Pleiades Sector IH-V c2-16|
|FNS Surprise||Antliae Sector DL-Y c4||May 17, 3303|
|FNS Thanatos||Solati||Jul. 11, 3304|
|FNS Trander||Sol||Dec. 10, 3304||Named for Federal President Loric Trander|
|FNS Unicorn||Dhathaatrib||Jul. 10, 3304|
|FNS Vanguard||Pi-Fang||Jun. 22, 3304|
|FNS Victorious||Blatrimpe 9||Jul. 3, 3304|
|FNS Warspite||Luluwala||May 20, 3304|
|Bart||LHS 20||Nov. 22, 3305||Believed captured by pirates|
|Darion ep Tellek||LHS 20||Dec. 16, 3304|
|INV Law of Achenar||Kamitra||Jan. 11, 3304||Believed captured by the Imperial Navy|
|Lars Porsenna||Aug. 8, 3305|
|Netsuakram||Solati||Apr. 14, 3305|
|Nick Coates||Pangluya||Apr. 7, 3306|
|Vanguard||Ross 719||Dec. 10, 3304||Believed captured by pirates|
|Wedge Androlos||Oct. 6, 3305|
- David Braben describes the Farragut Battle Cruiser: "There will be no gravity, you'll just float around. Things like magnetic boots will make getting around very easy. These would look like normal shoes with fancy technology that make them stick to the surface." "The Federal ship is a lot more Spartan, a lot more just practical warship essentially." "The Federal ship's central section, with design, one of the design briefs we've had is try to design ships with functions in mind. In the Federal ship it's utility that's important. The reason its got this central corridors is this is where ships come out of their hangars. It's to try and protect the hangars from outside. So the reason they face inward and the ships fly out you know they're already up to speed. That would be very heavily protected potentially with shields around it."
- All Farragut Battle Cruisers appear to share the registration tag of FDN-RD5.
- The Farragut Battle Cruiser cannot be destroyed by reducing its hull to 0%.
- After destroying all of the Faragut's Heat Relays the ship will escape from battle by activating its Frame Shift Drive.
- Routing the Farragut awards the player 500,000 CR.
- Capital Ships have an exclusion zone. Flying too close to a Capital Ship is considered a threat and will make you a target, even if you are friendly. The Capital Ship will often inform you when you are getting close, telling you to back off.
- The Farragut Battle Cruiser length (2040m) is similar to 6 Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carriers (337 m).
- The majority of the Farragut-class battlecruisers are named after past and present warships of the British Royal Navy.
- The Farragut class most likely gets its name from David G. Farragut, the first American Admiral, for whom two U.S Navy destroyer classes have also been named.
- ↑ GalNet: Core Dynamics Completes Work on New Capital Ship
- ↑ The Art of Elite Dangerous, August 17 2016
- ↑ Frontier Forums: UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 6 - The Canonn, comment #7791 (Michael Brookes)
- ↑ Elite Encounters RPG
- ↑ GalNet: Galactic News: Capital Ships Vulnerable to Thargoid Attack
- ↑ Community Goal: Operation Andronicus
- ↑ Galactic News: New Farragut Battle Cruiser Complete
- ↑ Data taken from Tourist Spot Beacon 0119, Alioth system
- ↑ GalNet: Core Dynamics Completes Work on New Capital Ship
- ↑ GalNet: The Nevermore Not Ready for Duty
- ↑ PCGamer: Elite: Dangerous bug becomes community event
- ↑ Data taken from Tourist Spot Beacon 0148, Tau Ceti system
- ↑ GalNet: Aisling Duval Hosts Federal Ambassador
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-gyDLRMXg&t=219
- ↑ MercenaryThorrn's twitch broadcast @04:30:00
- ↑ MercenaryThorrn's twitch broadcast @04:46:00
- ↑ Elite ship scale 3.0