Content presented on this page has not been released yet. Details are subject to change before release, and anything unsupported by a source may be speculation or incorrect.
The Fleet Carrier is a capital ship manufactured by Brewer Corporation. It is the largest vessel that independent pilots can purchase, and features multiple Landing Pads to accommodate Squadrons, making it a mobile base with much of the functionality and resources of a typical Station.
These high-value vessels are an all-new class of ship, soon to be available on the open market. Offering a range of customisation options, carriers represent a new era of spacefaring.
— Reveal description
Fleet Carriers are a unique type of mobile Megaship that can be purchased for an enormous sum of credits. Pilots are restricted to owning only one Fleet Carrier each, and instead of piloting it directly as with conventional ships, they can command it to jump between different locations. The main feature of the vessels is their Landing Pads, which provide many of the same services as conventional Stations, including Refuel, Repair, Rearm, and Outfitting. There are multiple loadouts suited for specific roles with different available services, modules, and even shipyards. Each Fleet Carrier possesses 8 large, 4 medium, and 4 small Landing Pads. The vessel's owner controls its docking permissions, and can restrict who may dock.
Fleet Carriers are equipped with a Capital Ship-class Frame Shift Drive, similar to the Farragut Battle Cruiser and Majestic Class Interdictor, allowing it to jump between star systems. All Fleet Carriers have a maximum jump range of 500 ly and can travel anywhere in the galaxy with the exception of permit-locked systems. Jumps can be scheduled via the Galaxy Map for any time that the owner wishes. In order to undertake a jump, the ship must be supplied with a certain amount of a unique commodity that can be purchased from Commodity Markets at Starports or mined from asteroids.
Fleet Carriers are tailored to specific roles through the acquisition of Support Vessels, which change the Fleet Carrier's loadout of available services and modules. Support Vessels do not include Landing Pads, and accompany the main Fleet Carrier in formation. Only one Support Vessel can be active at a time.
|Support Vessel Type||Image|
Fleet Carriers will be available for purchase from certain systems.
- The Fleet Carrier will be released with the December Update in December 2019. Purchasing it will not require owning Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
- Fleet Carriers are persistent objects in the game, and will remain present regardless of whether the owner is online or offline, or playing in Open, Solo, or Private Groups.
- Like Stations, Fleet Carriers are indestructible and possess defensive capabilities in order to defend themselves and nearby non-hostile ships from attackers.
- Fleet Carriers were conceived as early as 2017. During that year's Frontier Expo, the Frontier Developments art director stated that carriers had not been designed yet, but their functions had been decided. Fleet Carriers were originally planned to be included in Chapter Four (3.3) of Elite Dangerous: Beyond alongside the Squadrons feature, but were delayed.
- The official Elite Dangerous - Digital Art Book has concept art of a possible carrier ship.
- ↑ YouTube: Elite Dangerous Fleet Carrier Gamescom Reveal
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Frontier Forums: Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Frontier Forums: Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details, post #939
- ↑ Announcement Lavecon 2019 Content Reveal
- ↑ r/Elite Dangerous: So is this really concept art for Fleet Carriers?
- ↑ Frontier Expo 2017 Live at 1:35:30
- ↑ Frontier Forums: Important Community Update
- ↑ Elite Dangerous - Digital Art Book