Geysers are vents in the surface of a planet or moon which periodically release hot water or steam. Geysers can take time to build up the correct amount of pressure to erupt, so they are not always active, which can make them difficult to spot from high altitudes. Some geysers, known as ice geysers or cryogeysers, release ice, dust, and volatiles. Geysers are not to be confused with Fumaroles, Gas Vents, or Lava Spouts.
There are six known types of geysers:
- Ammonia Ice Geysers
- Carbon Dioxide Ice Geysers
- Methane Ice Geysers
- Nitrogen Ice Geysers
- Water Geysers
- Water Ice Geysers
These are some known locations with geysers.
|11 Cephei||A1 A||-33.2, -18.3|
|Toolfa||A 9 A||22.0, -8.9|
|Alectrona||2 A||37.8749, 43.2371||Water Geysers|
|Cowini||14 B||-38.9794, 100.2803||Water Geysers|
|Gbekree||AB 3 B a||-22.79, -99.07|
|BD+74 526||B 3 A||Visitor beacon|
|PLAA AESCS JN-S b17-18||4 B||-56.4771, 99.2355||Water Geysers|
|Vamm||B 2 A||62.6461, -53.4364||Ice Geysers|
|Veil West Sector GW-W c1-13||3 C||-59.2, 43.6||Source.|
|HIP 60953||ABC 7C||-52.93, 15.50||Source.|
|HIP 61061||AB 8 B||10.33, 5.81||Source.|
|Bhare||A 3 A||10.47, 136.10||Source.|
|Alectrona||2 A||43.23, 37.87||Source.|
|Pru Aescs PU-S b45-5||3 a||73.8263, -136.9398||Source.|
- Geyser jets can be used to propel an SRV into the air by driving the vehicle directly on top of the ejecta. For example, this video shows an SRV being propelled 13 km high above Enceladus in Sol while this video shows a similar jump on an uncharted moon near Colonia.
- Prior to Elite Dangerous: Beyond Chapter 4, explorers would document the planetary body, latitude, and longitude of geyser locations for later reference. Manual discovery of these locations could take many hours or even days. Chapter 4's improvements to discovery tools enabled automatic logging of these locations in the Codex for easy reference. An unfortunate side effect of that update is that some classic geologic locations were erased or heavily modified.
- ↑ https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/293012-Geyser-and-Fumarole-Location-Catalog-and-Data-Collection/page63
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Galactic Geologist – Issue 1
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/9m0b5u/found_dozens_of_geysers/