The Krait MkII is a reimagining of the Krait Lightspeeder, which was originally manufactured by Faulcon DeLacy in the 3100s. Although the new ship is larger than the original, it possesses many of the same characteristics, emphasizing speed, manoeuvrability and firepower over defensive capability. The ship also boasts a fighter bay and space for up to two crew members, making it a good option for those seeking a medium-weight, multipurpose vessel.
— In-Game Description
The Krait MkII is a ship manufactured by Faulcon DeLacy. The modern successor of the discontinued Krait MkI, the Krait MkII greatly expands upon the premise of the original, resulting in a larger, well-rounded ship intended to provide a more combat-focused alternative to Faulcon DeLacy's other mid-size multipurpose craft, the Python. Due to its inconspicuous design, the Krait MkII is also less likely to attract the attention of local authorities and has potential as a smuggling vessel.
The Krait MkII is a leaner, meaner alternative to the Python, featuring almost identical module and hardpoint specifications. The Krait's advantages over the Python are its lower cost, lower hull mass, higher speed, improved handling, higher jump range potential, and the ability to carry a Fighter Hangar, but these are balanced by the Krait having one less Class 6 internal compartment as well as weaker armour and shields. In effect, the ship sacrifices some utility as a freighter in favor of speed and jump range potential compared to the Python, but remains a viable multipurpose option with strong combat ability.
A variant of the Krait MkII, the Krait Phantom, was later introduced that doubles down on the multipurpose qualities and speed of the design at the expense of firepower and armour. The Phantom has reconfigured internal compartments with less cargo capacity and gives up its Fighter Hangar, one Class 3 hardpoint, and one pilot's seat, but this also reduces its hull mass significantly to the benefit of speed, handling, and jump range. As such, while the Krait MkII remains the better choice for combat, trading, and mining, the Krait Phantom offers a streamlined alternative for explorers or pilots who have no use for a Fighter Hangar.
The Krait MkII's three Class 3 hardpoints are mounted in a delta pattern on the vessel's dorsal surface, behind the cockpit. The two medium hardpoints are mounted on the underside of the front-most points of the hull, on either side of the cockpit and slightly forward. Combined with a Fighter Hangar, the Krait MkII can bring a considerable amount of firepower to bear for its size, and its hardpoint placement ensures that the pilot can keep weapons on a target without any difficulty.
The primary pilot's seat is located squarely along the centerline of the ship, while the cockpit itself extends from the hull and is slightly under-slung, affording a wide, unobstructed frontal view reminiscent of a Lakon Spaceways ship such as the Asp Explorer. Due to the position of the cockpit, the pilot also has a clear view of the Krait MkII's two medium hardpoints when they are deployed. The two secondary pilot seats flank the primary pilot seat to the left and right, and have separate canopies.
|Shinrarta Dezhra||Jameson Memorial||Always available||10% discount|
|Brestla||i Sola Prospect||Always available||20% surcharge|
|109 Piscium||Ising Dock||Feb. 2, 2019||15% discount|
|Colonia||Jaques Station||Jul. 17, 2018|
|Phraces||Potter Enterprise||Jul. 13 2018|
|51 Arietis||Dillon Hub||Jun. 28, 2018|
|Narri||Bobko City||Jun. 28, 2018|
|Tarach Tor||Tranquility||Jan. 29, 2020|
|LP 726-6||Vesalius Gateway||Jun. 29, 2018|
|Colonia||Colonia Hub||Jun. 30, 2018|
|Bestia||Duffy Port||Jun. 30, 2018|
|Wolf 896||Fraser Enterprise||Jun. 30, 2018|
|HIP 4003||Ptack Hub||Jul. 18, 2018|
|Gilgamesh||Lopez de Haro Ring||Jul. 1, 2018|
|LTT 7548||Boltzmann Gateway||Jul. 1, 2018|
|Groombridge 1618||Gernsback Terminal||Jul. 1, 2018|
|Groombridge 1618||Franklin Ring||Jul. 1, 2018|
|Rohini||Eudaemon Anchorage||Aug. 14, 2018|
|Clayakarma||Burnham Camp||Jul. 10, 2018|
|Shaplintin||Phillifent Vision||Jul. 10, 2018|
|Gandharvi||Caravanserai||Jul. 10, 2018|
|Zaraluvul||Plexico Ring||Jul. 13, 2018|
|Aulin||Aulin Enterprise||Jul. 15, 2018|
|Phraces||Potter Enterprise||Jul. 13, 2018|
|Pleiades Sector DL-Y d65||Agricola's Ascent||Jul. 26, 2018|
|Rasalhague||Vasyutin Dock||Aug. 5, 2018|
|Silvandza||Shonin Enterprise||Sep. 19, 2018|
|Lei Zi||Macedo||Nov. 3, 2018|
|Djabushis||Cheli Terminal||Dec. 24, 2018|
|Luyten 145-141||Euclid Station||Feb. 12, 2019|
|Hel||Jones Orbital||Aug. 10, 2020|
- Main article: Outfitting
All ships are highly customisable through the Outfitting menu of Station Services. Listed below is the default load-out for the Krait MkII.
|Category||Default System||Default Rating||Default Class||Max Class|
|Medium Hardpoint||Pulse Laser (L)||F||1||2|
|Pulse Laser (L)||F||1||2|
|Reactor Bay||Power Plant||E||7||7|
|Frame Shift Drive Housing||Frame Shift Drive||E||5||5|
|Environment Control||Life Support||E||4||4|
|Power Coupling||Power Distributor||E||7||7|
|Fuel Store||Fuel Tank [x32]||C||5||5|
|Internal Compartments||Shield Generator||E||6||6|
|Cargo Rack [x32]||E||5||6|
|Cargo Rack [x32]||E||5||5|
|Cargo Rack [x16]||E||4||5|
|Cargo Rack [x2]||E||1||2|
- (L) = Loaned Module
- [x#] = Capacity
- (PAS) = Reserved solely for the Planetary Approach Suite or Advanced Planetary Approach Suite
- The Krait MkII was released with the Chapter Two (3.1) update of Elite Dangerous: Beyond on June 28, 2018. Purchasing it requires owning Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
- Elite Dangerous narrative lead Ian Dingwall describes the ship: "You might think of the Krait Mk II as analogous to modern updates of the real-world Mini Cooper or Volkswagen Beetle... It's a reimagining of a classic that connects conceptually and aesthetically with the ship from 1984's Elite, while offering enough innovation and quality to compete with contemporary rivals in Elite Dangerous. While the Mk II embodies the essence of the original, it's very much its own ship."
- Senior designer Barry Clark said the Krait MkII "currently occupies a unique place among our ship roster and is very popular among players... The idea of a low-profile ship for Commanders flying dubious cargo was really cool to us, too. The Krait is a great all-round ship with a strong hull, powerful engines – which look super-cool – and a great load-out. It's also less 'conspicuous', meaning it's less likely to get scanned by the police compared to other ships of that size and class. It has significant straight line speed and power, as well as enough firepower to match the Python thanks to three large and two medium hardpoints. It has a really nice punch against a variety of ship types and sizes."
- The Krait MkII was first teased in the first trailer for Beyond Chapter 2, where its engines were shown.
- The Krait MkII may have been originally named the "Krait Tornado" after the Panavia Tornado.
- Following Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8, the Krait MkII became the only ship with a total of 3 pilot seats. All other ships with 3 pilot seats at the time were upgraded with a 4th seat.
- PCGamesN: Feast your eyes on the Krait Mk II in the latest Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter Two cinematic
- YouTube: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two cinematic trailer
- YouTube: Krait Expectations (46:51)
- r/EliteDangerous: Remember the Frontier Store leak talking about a Krait Phantom? Apparently we're currently flying a Krait Tornado.
- Frontier Forums: Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 Notes