Energy projectile weapon on fixed mount.
— In-Game Description
A Plasma Accelerator is a weapon module that fires slugs of superheated plasma. Although they are powerful weapons, their projectiles travel relatively slowly, and they require a brief period to recharge after each shot.
Plasma Accelerator projectiles move relatively slowly (875 m/s); this and the lack of gimballed variants make them challenging to use, especially against smaller targets. However, Plasma Accelerators have among the highest raw damage ratings of any weapon, and much of this damage ignores the various resistances of shields, hull, and armoured Bulkheads, as well as Armour Hardness. In addition, plasma slugs inflict thermal damage, which adds to the heat of any ship they hit.
The drawbacks of these weapons include the higher level of skill required to consistently strike targets with them, and their vast energy requirements and thermal load. The latter issues make them inadvisable to use alongside other energy weapons such as Beam Lasers, and can force a pilot to limit their rate of fire to prevent overheating.
|2||C||4.00||40||1.430||Fixed||Absolute, Thermal, Kinetic||54.3||100||0.3||17.9||15.6||5||100||834,200|
|3||B||8.00||51||1.970||Fixed||Absolute, Thermal, Kinetic||83.4||100||0.3||24.2||21.8||5||100||3,051,200|
|4||A||16.00||80||2.630||Fixed||Absolute, Thermal, Kinetic||125.3||100||0.3||31.31||29.5||5||100||13,793,600|
- Damage Type for all Plasma Accelerators is divided as follows:
- Absolute: 60%
- Thermal: 20%
- Kinetic: 20%
- Absolute Damage ignores shield resistances and armour resistances.
This weapon can be modified by Engineers to enhance its abilities.
The following modifications can be applied to this module:
The following Experimental Effects can be applied to the module:
- Dazzle Shell
- Dispersal Field
- Double Braced
- Flow Control
- Phasing Sequence
- Plasma Slug
- Stripped Down
- Target Lock Breaker
- Thermal Conduit
- The Plasma Accelerator fires a ball of plasma every 3 or 4 seconds, and is only good for direct fire.
- 3 shots will take out a Type-9 shield and another 3 shots for the hull. Damage per shot is upwards of 35% to 14% depending how it hits.
- Any Plasma Accelerator (regardless of size) using Plasma Slug requires approximately 110 kilograms (0.11 tons) of fuel per reload (where one reload is five shots).
- Maximum range is 3500m, but Damage Falloff begins at 2000m.
- Main problem is overheating after just 3 or 4 shots, best used with a few projectile weapons as if you use lasers the ship heats up too fast and then you can't fire the Plasma Accelerators.
- Hard to hit very maneuverable ships; especially smaller ones.
- Plasma Accelerators should not be mistaken for Plasma Repeaters, which are a small projectile weapon exclusive to the Scarab SRV and various Ship-Launched Fighter variants.