- Main article: Materials
Raw Material Sources Edit
Raw materials can be found on landable stellar bodies (low gravity and flat surface are much preferred), signal sources, and through asteroid mining. Also "raw" Material Trader can exchange materials you own for materials you want to obtain.
Material sources on planets and moons can be located by use of the Wave Scanner of an SRV. When they are destroyed by weapons fire from a ship or SRV they explode into chunks of materials, which can be collected using a ship or SRV's Cargo Scoop.
The type of materials vary depending on the geology of the body, the type of world it is and where it is situated. As well as sources which are natural parts of the body, there are meteorites which fell from space, cargo racks of downed ships, and perhaps other more mysterious sources to be found (e.g. alien structures).
Surface Prospecting Edit
Landable stellar bodies can be analyzed by a Detailed Surface Scanner to reveal the materials available when prospecting, and a given body will always have 1 Rare (Grade 4) material, 2 Standard (Grade 3) materials, 3 Common (Grade 2) materials, and 5 Very Common (Grade 1) materials as part of its possible material yields from surface prospecting.
For example, surface prospecting on Frey 3 A can result in Iron, Sulphur, Carbon, Nickel, Phosphorus, Chromium, Manganese, Vanadium, Cadmium, Tungsten, and Tellurium. No other resources can be found regardless of when or where the prospecting takes place on the planet; no Selenium, Germanium, Mercury, etc. can ever be found there.
Sources Overview Edit
Sources discovered so far are:
- Thargoid Barnacle Barb
- Cargo Rack
- When a prospector reports on an asteroid's content, it will also show it's 'Material Content' - Low, Medium, or High. The higher the material content, the higher the likelihood of it dropping rare materials.
- Planet and moon surface:
- Crystalline Shards drop rare materials. Note that the nearest known system where Crystalline Shards occur is 1,482 LY from Sol, as of 28/02-2019
List of Raw Materials Edit
Raw materials rarity ranges from 'Common' to 'Very Rare', but rarity does not match its ranking at the material trader.
- ↑ The Mercs of Mikunn Geophysical Expedition handbook
- ↑ eddb.io entry for Frey 3 A
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=228645