The September Update is a standalone content update for Elite Dangerous that was released on September 18, 2019. After the April Update, it was the second of a series of updates throughout 2019 and 2020 designed to provide quality of life improvements and a more welcoming beginning experience for new players. The September Update was originally planned to be followed by the December Update, but the latter was delayed in order to first release the January Update, which focused on fixing longstanding issues.
- New "In Ship" Starter Experience
- When starting a new game, players are given essential pilot training by Pilots Federation instructor Theo Arcosta. Lessons include:
- These new training missions feature VO across all languages supported by Elite Dangerous.
- Veteran Commanders can experience the new training missions at any time by accessing the training section of the right HUD panel.
- Improved Livery System and Store
- Options to preview cosmetic items before purchase are expanded to include multiple camera angles. Items can also be previewed for ships which the player does not currently own.
- Players can purchase individual cosmetic items from bundles without needing to purchase the entire bundle.
- Ship Livery can be changed from the game's main menu at any time without the need to be docked at a station with Outfitting and Livery services.
- Purchasing Livery and Holo-Me items is now done through the game itself, rather than having to access an external website.
- ARX Currency
- Frontier Points, previously used by Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players to purchase cosmetics in the Frontier Store, are rebranded as ARX, and expanded to include PC players, unifying the cosmetic system across all platforms. ARX can be redeemed on all Livery and Commander Customisation items, and can either be purchased outside the game, or earned in-game at a rate of up to 400 ARX per week.
- Other Changes
- The Advanced Missile Rack weapon module is added.
- The throttle UI is updated to show the direction of travel, with the previous rectangular blocks replaced by chevrons to indicate forward or reverse.
- The Supercruise Assist module gains an option in the Flight Assist tab to control the throttle automatically.
- The spawn rate of High Grade Emissions and Non-Human Signal Sources was increased.
- Numerous bug fixes.
- As part of the preparations for the September Update, the Frontier Store was taken offline beforehand, on September 16, 2019, and re-opened after the update released on September 18.
- Frontier Forums: Lavecon 2019 Content Reveal
- Frontier Forums: Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details
- Frontier Forums: Content Reveal Livestream - September Update - Recap
- Frontier Forums: September Update - Downtime and Patch Notes
- Frontier Forums: Community Update (22/10)
- Frontier Forum: ARX and Frontier Points Conversion