The Sol system is notable as the birthplace of humanity and the capital of the Federation, one of the galaxy's three superpowers. Mars, which was terraformed in 2286, is the primary residence of the Federal president, and the seat of Federal power. The system is characterised by a widespread reliance on technology and the prevalence of monolithic corporate entities. The permit for this system can be obtained from the Federal military.
— In-Game Description
Sol, also known as the Solar System, is the capital system of the Federation. It is located at the centre of the Core Systems in the Inner Orion Spur region of the Milky Way galaxy, at galactic coordinates 0/0/0. Access to Sol is restricted, and requires a permit that can only be obtained by achieving the Federal Navy rank of Petty Officer.
The planet Earth is a popular tourist destination due to its historical and cultural importance as the birthplace of the human species. The city of Olympus Village on Mars is the political capital of the Federation.
The Achenar crisis had far reaching consequences for the Federal Council. Earth's leadership had been unquestioned, but the mother planet was already undergoing a difficult period with the climate and radiation problems on Earth not improving, and yet Mars appearing ever more verdant and a more comfortable place to live, there was a general exodus of the rich and influential. The prospect of war with Achenar required a strong hand. In time, the Federal Congress moved from Washington on Earth, to Olympus Village on Mars, and this helped ease friction with other Federation members - as there was a consultation period where other systems were considered.
Nevertheless, the next sixty years saw several fledgling colonies opt out of their colonial charter obligations once they arrived on their chosen world and accept the rulership of the Duvals. The Emperor played the politics skillfully. The massive natural resources being offered and exported from Achenar countered the benefits of then superior Federal technology, whilst the Duval emphasis on subjugating Alien ecology to the needs of the colonies, made them a popular benefactor for struggling settlements.
The 23rd century saw new leadership and initiative. The Earth Environmental Recovery Programme to restore the polluted and radioactive regions of the planet was much more successful.
- Sol (Class G star)
- Mercury (Metal rich body, landable)
- Venus (High metal content world)
- Burnell Station (Civilian Outpost)
- Earth (Habitable world)
- Mars (Earth-like world, terraformed)
- Asteroid Belt (Rocky belt)
- Jupiter (Class I gas giant with rocky rings)
- Io (Rocky body)
- Columbus (Ocellus Starport)
- Europa (Icy body, landable)
- Chargaff Reach (Settlement)
- Fung's Claim (Settlement)
- Haberlandt Survey (Surface Port)
- Illy Enterprise (Settlement)
- Ganymede (Rocky body, landable)
- Durrance Camp (Surface Port)
- Callisto (Rocky body, landable)
- Schottky Reformatory (Surface Port)
- Daimler Camp (Settlement)
- Io (Rocky body)
- Saturn (Class I gas giant with icy rings)
- Uranus (Class I gas giant with icy rings)
- Neptune (Class I gas giant with icy rings)
- Triton (Icy body, landable)
- Barycentre of Pluto and Charon
- 90482 Orcus (Rocky ice world, landable)
- Vanth (Rocky ice world, landable)
- (307261) 2002 MS4 (Icy body, landable)
- Salacia (Rocky ice world, landable)
- Actaea (Rocky ice world, landable)
- Haumea (Icy body, landable)
- Hi'iaka (Icy body, landable)
- Quaoar (Rocky ice world, landable)
- Makemake (Icy body, landable)
- (225088) 2007 OR10 (Icy body, landable)
- Eris (Icy body, landable)
- Sedna (Icy body, landable)
- Persephone (Icy body, landable)
- New Horizons (Signal Source)
- Voyager 1 (Signal Source)
- Voyager 2 (Signal Source)
- Aegis Core (Cooperative, Independent)
- Mother Gaia (Democracy, Federation)
- Federal Congress (Democracy, Federation)
- Sol Workers Party (Democracy, Federation)
- Sol Constitution Party (Democracy, Federation)
- Sol Nationalists (Democracy, Federation)
- All Alpha and Beta backers were automatically granted the permit to Sol.
- The Sol System in Elite Dangerous is different in various ways to its real life counterpart:
- Mars has two small moons in real life - Phobos and Deimos. These might have been destroyed during the terraforming of Mars in 2286 in Elite Dangerous. In real life, Phobos is slowly spiralling towards Mars, adding another theory that both may have impacted Mars - though this is unlikely, as Phobos is not supposed to collide with Mars for at least 30 million years. Alternatively, it may be torn apart by tidal forces - however this has not occurred in the game, as this would leave a planetary ring. This also does not explain the disappearance of Deimos, as it maintains a further, stable orbit.
- The system in real life has two asteroid belts - the Main Belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter, and the Kuiper Belt beyond Pluto. There is also a cluster of "Trojan" asteroids around each of the two Lagrange points on Jupiter's orbit, and "Near-Earth Objects" (NEOs) that are constantly being monitored.
- The rings of Jupiter and Neptune are extremely faint and cannot easily be seen with the naked eye. The rings of Saturn and Uranus, on the other hand, are more visible.
- The real Sol system has numerous "dwarf" planets - Ceres, Eris, Sedna, Quaoar, Makemake, Haumea, Ixion, and much more. Pluto is one of these, but is included in the game since it was considered a planet historically and at the time of release of Frontier: Elite II.
- Jupiter and Saturn in the real-life Sol system both have almost 70 moons, Uranus has 27, and Neptune has 14. Most of them are tiny.
- Pluto has 5 moons - but all except Charon are tiny.
- At a distance of 2.07 million light-seconds, Voyager 2 can be found. Voyager 1 can also be found. Their recorded messages are played in various languages. Additionally to the original lines, David Braben can be heard saying "To all our friends in outer space, may you have a wonderful time exploring it.". This line plays after the German message.
- Burnell Station and Titan City seem to have the best weapon outfitting selection in the system, while the stations around Earth seem to have the best internal outfitting.
- Tourist Beacon 0178
- Tourist Beacon 0171